Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Let's talk about: Merlin


 I have always loved the legend of King Arthur. I want to believe in Camelot and all that went with it. I want to visit Arthurian sites in England. 
So when I first saw this series on Netflix a few years ago and started watching it, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. 
This is not the Merlin and Arthur you know. 

While I have liked quite a few of the movies/ TV series that have been made about Camelot, my favorite was the Disney version, Sword in the Stone. 
When someone said Arthur and Merlin this is what I would see in my head: 


I didn't know quite what to think of this Merlin and Arthur: 


 They take a lot of 'creative liberties' with this version. 
As I watched the first episode I went back and forth about whether I was going to like it. 
One side of my brain was saying, "This isn't how it goes."
And the other side said, "But this is freaking awesome."
The second side won out. 
It did not take long at all for me to become hooked on this show. 
It has now become one of my favorites. 

This BBC version tells the story of Merlin (Colin Morgan) as a teenager. He is sent to Camelot to learn to master his magical abilities under the eye of Magister Gaius , King Uther Pendragon's court physician. 
Magic, however, is outlawed in Camelot. King Uther Pendragon is not lenient nor kind.
Merlin becomes a squire to Arthur (Bradley James) who is, at first, quite a snob. 
It is so much fun to watch them grow over the five seasons. 

 Also of importance are Guinevere (Angel Coulby) and Morgana (Katie McGrath).
All four of these main characters are so well done by these four actors. 


Merlin is fun, family friendly, funny, action packed, interesting, well written, well acted, and touching.  It will give you the feels. 


You will find yourself rooting for these characters and before you know it, if you are anything like me, you will find yourself loving this version most of all. 
Plus, it has Sir Gwaine. (Eoin Macken)
 

All of Merlin's seasons are on Netflix and Hulu!

*Have you watched this show yet? 
*Do you love Camelot? 

4 comments:

Donna said...

It looks like a good show. I do like Camelot and all the legends that go along with it. "Sword in the Stone" was one of my favorite movies as a child.

Cheryl said...

Me too. I don't even know how many times I watched it as a kid! You should check this out and see what you think.

The Kings said...

Yes, I like it...thanks to you! We need to (or I need to) watch more!!

Cheryl said...

Yes we do. We have so many to get through! :)