Friday, June 19, 2015

Let's talk about: How I live Now


I had this film and the book it is based on recommended to me quite a few times so when I saw it was on Netflix, I decided to check it out. 
Honestly, I didn't really like it.

How I live Now tells the story of an American teenager named Elizabeth, although she goes by Daisy (played by Saoirse Ronan), who is sent to the countryside of England to stay with her Aunt Penn and her cousins. 
Upon arrival she meets her three cousins and their close friend who is usually at their house with them. She is a very resentful girl and quite rude. She doesn't really want to be there and doesn't care about getting to know them.
As the story unfolds you find out that she believes she is cursed and bad things happen to her wherever she goes because her mother died giving birth to her. 
Her Aunt Penn is very busy and involved somehow in the government, I think. I was never quite sure what her job was. They might have said and I missed it. But she is studying war scenarios in England because they are on high alert due to an imminent terrorist attack. 
She flies to Geneva, leaving the kids all home alone. 

While she is gone, Daisy starts to let her guard down and become friends with her cousins and the neighbor. And she falls in love with Eddie, the eldest of her cousins. 
Then a nuclear bomb explodes in London. 
This was actually the best part of the film, in my opinion. The way they filmed it was quite cool and frightening. 
The country breaks out in Marshall law, the kids are separated, and the rest of the film is Daisy trying to find a way back to Eddie. 

There are quite a few heartbreaking moments in the film and it really does make you think about what it would be like if a war like this broke out. 
But it just wasn't my favorite. If you are really interested, watch the trailer.
 And if you think it is something you would like you can watch it on Netflix. 
But I can't say I would recommend it.


2 comments:

The Kings said...

Not sure I want to see that one.

Cheryl said...

You shouldn't. I know you would not like it.