Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Let's talk about: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling



 A few days ago my little Bookworm Club finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. 
I am so excited that we are moving through these books as quickly as I hoped we would to reach my goal of finishing this re-read by the end of summer ,or at least before Halloween. 
Re-reading with children is ideal if you can do it. Especially if it is their first time through the series. 
It is almost like reading it again for the first time. 
When Abi gasps or hides under a blanket I am reminded of how that same part made me feel the first time.
When she laughs it reminds me of how funny a certain scene is that I have read or seen so many times I don't necessarily laugh anymore. And I find myself laughing along. 
It is a really fun experience. 

Abi loved this book even more than the first. She gave it five stars and said it is her favorite so far. She loved everything about it. 
Madeline gave it only one star to begin with but has since changed it to two stars which she says she gives only because she liked the snake and spiders. (?)
She is a funny kid. 
I asked her if she wanted me to continue the books with just Abi and read something else with her and she said, "Yes." But then she has been sitting in and listening anyway. So I have a feeling she likes it more than she lets on. 

I also love all of the things throughout the books that give a great jumping off point for discussions with the kids. 
Choices. Friendship. Kindness. Honesty. Loyalty.
 

To celebrate the finishing of two books so far, we got out a game that has been sitting in my closet for years! I love board games but don't often play many of the ones I own because my husband is not much of a board game guy. 
The girls wanted to play my Harry Potter Scene It game but I told them that it had to wait until we were done with all of the books and movies because it covers all eight movies. 
But I do have a Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone game that I had kind of forgotten about.  

It plays just like Clue. 
Everyone uses a sorting hat playing piece and you move around the board to different classrooms to figure out clues. 
You have to discover a character that cast a spell, which spell it was, and which classroom they cast it in. 
There is also a little ghost that any player can move around to knock you back to the start and be able to see one of your cards or keep you from going into a room. 
It was a lot of fun and the kids really enjoyed it!
It is a very old game and so it is hard to find now. On Amazon it is $90! But there is a newer Harry Potter Clue that is more affordable if you are interested. However, since I haven't played that one I cannot tell you if it is good or not. 
If you see the original one at a garage sale or somewhere cheap and you and/or your kids love Harry Potter and Clue I would definitely recommend picking it up!



*Anyone reading along? 
*What is your favorite part of Sorcerer's Stone?
*Do you like board games?

No comments: