Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Let's Talk About: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson


I think we all know the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Or we think we do. 
I have always been interested in reading it so I picked it up from the library. 
The cover is kind of creepy and confusing which lends to the exact feel of the story. 

The story itself is not long. I was able to read it in one evening and part of the next afternoon. 
It really wasn't what I expected. I always thought that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde were a split personality of a mentally ill man. But that isn't what it is at all. I don't want to give away the whole thing in case you don't know, but I found it very interesting. 
I love the aspect of delving into the different sides of human beings. None of us can be summed up as 'just' kind or creative, mean, lazy, hardworking. We are a sum of many, many parts and I think this book really makes you think about the duality of human beings. The fact that we all have potential for goodness and evil. 
I really wish that I had been able to go into the story not knowing that Jekyll and Hyde were the same person. It would have been so much more shocking at the end if I hadn't known that. But even so, I really enjoyed the story. 

The other tales in the book were good too though none of them were on the same level as this main one. I liked Body Snatchers, especially knowing that it was based on true stories. But I found the end a bit confusing and abrupt. 

I am definitely interested in reading more of Robert Louis Stevenson. 

*Have you read this story or any of his creepy short stories? 

4 comments:

The Kings said...

I haven't read any but might one of these days.

Cheryl said...

If you do, I would definitely recommend that it be the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde if you only read one.

Donna said...

Ooooh, I need to read this! It's a classic and I can't believe I haven't. I think I know the story but I'm not totally sure that I do. Thanks for the review.

Cheryl said...

Sure. It is a very interesting idea.