Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Let's talk about: As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes


I just finished reading this book over the weekend and it was a really fun read. 
The book started a little slowly for me but then as soon as they were in England filming the stories started getting better and better. 
It is written by the dashing Cary Elwes.


(or, He who has perfect hair as I like to call him.)

Okay.. so now he looks like this. 


Still a handsome fellow. 

The book is filled with behind-the-scenes stories and photographs along with blurbs from the other actors involved including Robin Wright, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, and Wallace Shawn. It also has bits from the author of the original book and the screenplay William Goldman, the director Rob Reiner, and the producer Norman Lear. 

He said he decided to share his memories while at the 25th anniversary cast reunion as they realized how much the movie still meant to so many people. 
And to them. 

I really want to share some of the most interesting parts of the book but I don't want to spoil it for you! 
But I was struck by how many of them felt completely self aware during the filming. Like they weren't good enough for the parts. Sometimes celebrities seem like they would have so much confidence in real life and it is easy to forget that they are just people with all the same hang ups as a lot of us. 
So go read it and then come back and comment on your favorite parts and I will comment back with mine!
You can find it here or at your local bookstore or library. 
It is a really quick read. I started it on a Saturday night and finished it on a Sunday afternoon. 

And the best thing about it was that it let you in on how nice these people are in real life which, to me, adds to the enjoyment when watching a film. 

After reading this I definitely will be watching the movie again soon so I can watch it with new eyes. 
It also made me want to visit Haddon Hall in England!
They did most of the filming there, the nearby areas, and on a sound stage nearby. 

This book just reminds us of what a wonderful thing these people created. 
A movie that will last the test of time. 


3 comments:

Donna said...

That is such a good movie. So classic and fun. I'd like to read that book.

Cheryl said...

I think you will enjoy it. Like I said, very quick read and you come out of it with some fun info and insights.

The Kings said...

Love the movie! Now I have to read the book!