Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Let's talk about: A Young Doctor's Notebook





I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I sat down to watch the first episode of A Young Doctor's Notebook starring Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe. 
I had heard about it in passing but only really knew that it was a BBC television show. 

Jon and Daniel play the same character. 
Jon Hamm is the Older Doctor. 
Daniel Radcliffe is the Younger Doctor. 

The first episode begins with the Older Doctor at his desk looking at his journal's. 
It takes us back in time to the early 20th century when the Younger Doctor arrives in a small village in Russia to work in the small hospital.
At first I was a little confused as Jon Hamm was in the hospital too.. but then I realized it was the Older Doctor and Younger Doctor interacting with each other much like we think back to a time in our own lives or look forward to later in life. Slightly strange but quite funny. 
As they interact they argue constantly. 
The episodes are a little under 30 minutes each and I have just watched the first one so far but I found it to be pretty entertaining. The acting is fantastic. It is pretty ridiculously funny. 
But it also had a few cringe worthy moments. 
The very end of the episode had a very unfortunate tooth pulling moment with lots of blood and I may not have been able to look again until it was over. 
I would say that if you are like me and get grossed out easily this may not be the show for you. But if you don't mind that and want something interesting and funny, check it out.

The series is based on the stories of Mikhail Bulgakov.


No comments: