Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Announcement: British Read-a-thon!


I am planning on doing something really fun next week. 
I want to invite any of you that would like to join me in this event. 
You don't have to go anywhere. You don't have to dress up. In fact, nice cozy clothes are the best attire. 
You don't need to buy anything. The cost is free. All you need is a pile of books you already own or that you have borrowed from the library, a cozy place to sit, and perhaps some creature comforts such as a blanket and a mug of hot cocoa (or whatever drink makes you happy!). 
It is finally September. And to me, September means Fall. 
It may not officially be Fall yet. It may not have cooled off outside. But the leaves of the trees are beginning to turn and there is a certain feeling in the air that promises of sweaters and cozy socks and my favorite time of year.


To celebrate our arrival into September I am planning on having a Read-a-thon!
Do you remember the read-a-thon days at school?
They were my absolute favorite. You would get to take your blanket and pillow and sometimes a stuffed animal to school. You would have some fun treat. And you would read all day. Or at least a few hours. It was heaven. 
With the demands of life I knew that I wouldn't really be able to devote an entire day to just reading. Because of this I decided to do a read-a-thon similar to some that I have seen on YouTube. A week long read-a-thon. 
Starting next Tuesday, September 8th I will be hosting a Scones and Crackers British themed read-a-thon!
It will go through the next Tuesday, September 16th. 
On the first Tuesday I will be posting my hopeful 'To Be Read' pile. 
Each day I will post about what I was actually able to read the day before. And maybe there will be some challenges/ questions/ tags. 
Because this is a week long read-a-thon you don't have to devote one full day (although you can if you are able!). You can take some time each day during that week to make a point to sit down and read or grab every second of free time you have throughout the day to get some reading done. 





All of the books I read during this time will have a British theme. They will either be written by a British author or take place in the United Kingdom. 
I hope that some of you will be able to join in on this journey and share in the comments each day what you are reading. 
It should be a lot of fun and a really good way to get those British books off of your 'To Be Read' shelf and finally make a dent in them!
Again, I will start this with my 'To Be Read' post next Tuesday!
Here's hoping for some rainy, cool weather next week!
 
 
Let me know if you think you will participate!

4 comments:

The Kings said...

I will! That sounds really fun!

Donna said...

That sounds really fun! Read-a-thon days at school were always the best days of school ever. I'd love to do this. I don't know if I'll be reading British or British-themed books because I have some other books I was planning on reading this month. Does that matter?
I love the pictures in this post!

Seth and Julie said...

This is a fun idea, although I am a bit Brit-litted out, after studying it all last semester. I am curious to see your to-read list. Maybe I will make a list of British authors/books I still intend to read, even if I don't tackle them next week.

Cheryl said...

Mom- Yay!

Donna- No. You can read whatever you want!I just want to hear what everyone is reading. I think that would be fun.

Julie- I can imagine you are very Brit-litted out after your class. Maybe you can even comment on some of the books you read during that time that you liked/ didn't like during your studies.