Monday, May 18, 2015

Let's talk about: Mumford and Sons


Mumford and Sons are a British band from London, England. 
They formed in 2007. 
They are Marcus Mumford (lead vocals, electric and acoustic guitar, drums), Ben Lovett (vocals, keyboard and piano, synthesizer), Winston Marshall (vocals, electric guitar, and banjo), and Ted Dwane (vocals, bass guitar, and double bass). 


Their music falls somewhere between rock and folk. 
Doug and I first heard them a few years ago and we both instantly fell in love with their sound and most of all, their lyrics. 


 Their first album, Sigh No More, was released in 2009 followed by Babel in 2012. 
They have recently released another album, Wilder Mind, however it doesn't really have the same vibe to it so we haven't purchased that one. 
They also have two live albums that I have not heard. 
Sigh No More made it to number two on the UK Albums chart and into the Billboard 200 in the US. 
Both Babel and Wilder Mind debuted at number one in the UK and the US.



 They have won many music awards. 
Sigh No More got them the Brit Award for Best British Album in 2011. 
They also won the Grammy's Album of the Year. 
They won the Brit Award Best British Group in 2013.


One of the reasons I love them so much is that their lyrics are amazing. 
Almost every song has a message that really speaks to me. 
They have stated that much of their lyrical content has a strong literary influence. 
The first album even gets its title from William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. 
The song "Sigh No More" includes lines from the play as well. 
"Roll Away Your Stone" is inspired by Macbeth
"The Cave" includes references to The Odyssey
"Timshel" is inspired by John Steinbeck's East of Eden and "Dust Bowl Dance" is inspired by The Grapes of Wrath, also by Steinbeck. 


I find listening to most of their songs either relaxes me or lights a fire within me. 
Two things I really love to get from music. 
I also love that they are really talented with each of them singing and playing multiple instruments. 
As well as writing their own music. 



I really am not that into going to big concerts anymore.
 I would much rather go to a small venue where you sit and listen to a live band. 
But if they ever come near me again, I will be there!

These are my three favorite Mumford and Sons songs: 

Awake My Soul:


Hopeless Wanderer:


and 
Timshel


* Have you listened to Mumford and Sons before?
*Do you have a favorite Mumford and Sons song?


3 comments:

The Kings said...

I remember Timshel has significance but I can't remember what. You will have to tell me again. Wasn't it from one of our Book Club books?

Cheryl said...

It is from East of Eden. It is a Hebrew word that Lee, in the book, translates as "Thou mayest". He explains it as we all have our choices.

Cheryl said...

Wait, I should have said from East of Eden but Lee translates it from the Bible.